fbpx

The Junction

Engine #32 in front of the Junction Fire Station. SWSHS #1998.35.22
Engine #32 in front of the Junction Fire Station. SWSHS #1998.35.22

The Junction got its name because it was built at the intersection of two streetcar lines. When West Seattle was annexed in 1907 an additional streetcar line was extended down to Fauntleroy. Where the line ended at Fauntleroy was called “Endolyne” (end-of-the-line). Where the Fauntleroy line #2 met the tracks of the streetcar heading north to the Admiral neighborhood – the junction of the two rapidly grew to a small business district. The Junction name stuck. Today it is the business heart of West Seattle and a gathering place for community events and the summer farmer’s market.

The West Seattle Junction
The West Seattle Junction during the removal of its namesake- the streetcar tracks. This is the corner of Alaska and California Ave., facing west, 1926. SWSHS #1998.33.662
4500 block of California Ave., in the Junction, 1967
Businesses located on the 4500 block of California Ave., in the Junction, 1967. SWSHS #2003.20.580

Back to top

Newsletter

SWSHS requires proof of vaccination (or a negative test within 72 hours) for all visitors to the Log House Museum who are 12 years and older. This requirement is in compliance with King County’s mandate. Face coverings are still required in the Log House Museum for all visitors age 5 and older regardless of vaccination status.